Friday, July 17, 2009

I love to drink, er... knit!

Really, why not add a few more projects to the pile? :)

Back in December I heard about a new knitting group starting up in my neighborhood, a Stitch-n-bitch. They were meeting at a local bar and anyone was welcome to join in. At the time I had a 3 month old and was potty-training a 2 and 3/4-year old so yes I needed a drink. Weekly at least. Plus some non-diaper-related conversation. Only I didn't know how to knit. I think most people would have moved on but you see, it is a really good bar they meet at.

So on a holiday visit I had my mom show me how to cast on, knit and purl. She gave me some huge needles and ugly yarn and I was on my way! I started knitting this simple scarf:

It's quite a lot longer now but I fully intend to never pick it up again ever. Already I'm a yarn snob and I'm all done with acrylic!

For my next project I bought some nice needles (Knitpicks Harmony wood interchangeables) and some gorgeous yarn. I started this free hat pattern and it was coming along rather well until the temperatures went above 70 degrees. I just can't work on a wool hat in the summer.

So off I went to find a nice simple pattern for a beginner and ended up choosing the Feather & Fan shawl. I'm not sure if this would be called a beginner pattern but it's been pretty easy. This picture was taken a while back and it's already a lot bigger. Still a long ways to go! As mentioned, the point of my knitting is to drink so most of it does occur at the bar and it makes for slow progress.


I think I'm in love with lace. I keep drooling over lace patterns. Check out this stunner on Grumperina's blog. Someday perhaps!

Oh and back to the drinking. Best. Beer. Ever.

Come join us Tuesday nights at St. Stephen's Green!

2 comments:

  1. Jaime! Thanks for sharing your blog! I have fallen in love with lace knitting too (and I just learned how to knit ~December, too), so we should definitely share patterns!

    See you next week!

    -Marlon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaime --

    I just listed you as one of my 15 winners for a Lovely Blog Award. Come by to pick up your award and to see your name in lights. :D

    Dee
    http://newenglandnanny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete