Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Quilting WIPs - log cabin and doll quilt swap

I have two quilting woks in progress to share.

The first will be a pillow cover for our living room couch. I wanted a scrappy log cabin though when I pulled out my scraps I had a ton! I decided to do one pillow in green/yellow and the other in orange/brown. I'm so so pleased how it came out!



Some of the prints for the other. I have so many orange-ish prints (I found more than in this pic) I could probably make an army of pillows!


The next WIP is for a doll quilt swap I joined. I wanted to take the opportunity to do a new quilting pattern/technique without having to commit to a large quilt. I first decided to do a zigzag and found this alternate method to piecing (no triangles!) It's super simple, but once I started putting my squares together I realized it was identical to putting together a rail fence (you just cut it on a diagonal after it's pieced). Rail fence is one of the two quilts I've already done, so not a new technique after all. But I definitely do like how it looks and I think it will be the doll quilt back. The fabrics are Sandi Henderson's Farmers Market.


For my second attempt I tried something very different. I think it's definitely a very fun look! The center and outside print is Alexander Henry 2D zoo. I seem to have it in every colorway.


I wonder if I'm the only one who likes the look of a neatly pressed back? Yep, I'm in the press-seams-open camp now.

No comments:

Post a Comment